Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Interview with JACQUELINE THEN



I had the fabulous opportunity of interviewing our local fashion designer Jacqueline Then, who once again delighted us with her exquisite new collection "Provocateur" at the RDFW '10.


  1. Who’s Jacqueline Then?
Fashion designer, mother of three beautiful kids: Valeria, Alex and Lia. Wife of Alexander Schad. Owner of BIANCO a multi-brands fashion boutique in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and a very happy person.  

  1. Who’s your ideal client?
She has a very strong body language.  She is proud and feminine, and is not afraid of showing it in the way she dresses. 


  1. When did you launch your line?  
Dominicana Moda 2007.

  1. Biggest achievement:
In the fashion business: To have my own store at MUSA in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic with evening wear and clothes for exceptional occasions!
From the beginning I‘ve been very specific with the message I want to transmit with my designs: extremely short glamorous dresses , embroidered tops and pants in luxury fabrics, and the most important thing is, that I think a whole generation of girls totally identify themselves with my line.

  1. I’m obsessed with…
My work process at THEN is very intense day after day. I research a lot, but at the same time my proposal is emotional, especially in these days, it's hard to find emotion and inspiration in the same place. So I search for inspiration in music, arts, and within the society in general. And when I find something I like, I research it throughout and dig deep,  that’s the way I work: drawing inspiration and emotion from my travels, from art and my feelings.  My work expresses my vision. 

  1. Which designer do you admire the most?
 It’s always some kind of blend, every season will change depending on the designer’s collection.  I will say this season my favorites are: Cristophe Decarnin (Balmain), Ricardo Tisci (Gyvenchy), Nicolas Ghesquiere (Balenciaga), Alber Elbaz (Lanvin), Alexander McQueen, Rick Owens, Altuzarra and Antonio Berardi.

  1. A city: 
New York, Montreal and Paris!

  1. A book:
I’m a real Dominican fan and I will go for a Dominican book “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” of Junot Diaz, who was awarded the 2008 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.

  1. A quote:
“I don't do fashion, I am fashion.” Coco Chanel

  1. A fashion advice?
A full length mirror! And the key pieces for this season: mini-skirts or dresses, exaggerated shoulders and the military trend.

  1. High heels or flats?
Always High heels!

  1. You would never leave your house without?
My big LV handbag!

  1. What’s in your handbag?
Everything!! My makeup, keys, sunglasses, perfume, cell…the list will never end!

  1. Anything else you want to share with us?
Fashion  Shows:
Dominicana Moda “Sublime” 2007
Mujeres Vestidas por la Esperanza “Green” 2007
Factoria 2008
Dominican Republic Fashion Week “Premiere” 2009
Dominicana Moda “Imagine” 2009
Dominicana Moda “Blackbook” 2008
El Fashion Show “New York” 2010
Dominican Republic Fashion Week “Provocateur" 2010
Cover Magazines:
OH Magazine and Santo Domingo TIMES







     Thank you Jacqueline for such a great interview!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment